Tuesday, April 14, 2015

The Hurt Locker

I heard of the horrors of the war in Iraq, but I had never seen depictions of the brutality and warfare that truly goes on there before The Hurt Locker. Watching the soldiers in action and seeing what they deal with on a day to day basis left me awestruck. Every time the soldiers leave their base they are in a toss up between life and death. What I was most astounded by in the film is the type of warfare the soldiers fought. There was no real tactic to it, they just went through the streets, open alleys, and into buildings to search for the enemy. There was also no real place for the soldiers to hide as they fought in cities, and their main weapon was bombs. Watching the movie gave me a greater understanding of what war in Iraq is like.
My parents have been hounding me to apply to a military based college next fall. They have even gone as far as to discuss it with Mrs. Petronsky. I have been thoroughly considering their wish. Though, watching The Hurt Locker made me realize that I do not have what it takes to be a soldier. I am not mentally or physically capable of doing what they do. To even be a doctor on their base would be frightening. I now am aware of the fact that I am not fit to be a soldier.
Throughout the movie, I tried to figure out what the "the hurt locker" actually was. After much internal debate I decided that it did not literally mean a school-like locker that was damaged. I think it is the area in the kill-zone of a bomb. If you are in it, you are in the "hurt locker". Though, I truly am unsure of what it is.

1 comment:

Burk said...

Great take on the meaning of hurt locker!